10 June, 2014
Baked Potato Soup
This Baked Potato Soup is not only a delicious recipe, but also one of the creamiest hearty soups we have. Loaded with slices of baked potatoes and garnished with green onions, bacon and cheese, each spoonful is a delight.
- 4 large baking potatoes, baked
- 2 sticks of butter
- 1 onion diced
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 48 ounces chicken broth, homemade or store bought
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Bake potatoes until tender. Cool, peel and chop into small pieces. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter over a low to medium heat, being careful not to burn it.
- Add the onion and cook until softened.
- Add the flour and stir while it cooks for about 3 minutes.
- Slowly add the chicken broth, water, salt, pepper, basil and sugar.
- Bring to a boil, stirring often with a wire whisk.
- Gradually add the heavy cream until you’ve reached the proper consistency.
- Add the potatoes to the soup.
- Simmer for approximately 5 minutes to bring the potatoes to temperature.
- Ladle the soup into individual bowls and garnish with chopped bacon, chives and the cheese blend.