- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1 large egg yolk
- 8 ounces 93%-lean ground beef
- 1 bunch scallions, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced Scotch bonnet chile pepper , or to taste
- 1/4 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- To prepare crust: Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, 1 teaspoon turmeric, 3/4 teaspoon salt and baking powder in a large bowl. Cut butter into small pieces and quickly rub them into the dry ingredients with your fingers until smaller but still visible. Add oil and toss with a fork to combine. Whisk water and egg yolk in a small bowl. Add to the flour mixture and stir until the dough begins to come together. Knead in the bowl a few times until it forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- To prepare filling: Cook ground beef, scallions and chile pepper in a medium skillet over medium heat, breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in breadcrumbs, water, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric and 1/4 teaspoon salt; mix well. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- To make patties: Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. On a well-floured surface, roll each piece into a 6-inch circle about 3/8 inch thick. Trim the edges to make an even circle (you might have a bowl the right size to use as a guide). Put about 1/4 cup filling on half of the dough, leaving about a 1/4-inch border. Fold the dough over the filling to make a half-moon shape and crimp the edges with a fork to seal. Place on a large baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling. Bake the patties until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes.