- Cooking Spray
- 20 ounces lean ground turkey(7% fat) or ground beef
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can low sodium diced tomatoes
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- ½ cup egg substitute
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/3 cup reduced fat Mexican style shredded cheese
- 1 cup canned pinto beans, drained, rinsed, and mashed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Spray a non-stick skillet over high heat. Sauté the ground turkey until just cooked through. Add the cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, onion powder, and diced tomatoes. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, and salt. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the yogurt, egg substitute, corn kernels, and cheese. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- Spread the mashed beans evenly in the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Top with cooked turkey meat and slightly press the meat into the beans. Then spread the corn muffin mix over the top of the meat evenly. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
Copied from ” diabetes.org ”